Roll Call is Maryland’s only non-partisan report card on how Maryland’s General Assembly voted on issues important to creating jobs in Maryland. Holding elected officials accountable for Maryland’s economic development climate, Maryland Free has been publishing Roll Call for 36 years. Votes included in Roll Call are selected by a non-partisan State Advisory Council, representing a broad spectrum of industries essential to a robust economy. The issues selected to be included are those that are fundamental to job creation and promoting a healthy business climate in Maryland.
Maryland Free’s State Advisory Council selects recorded votes from the most recent General Assembly session that have practical or philosophical importance to the widest possible range of Maryland businesses, trade associations, and chambers of commerce.
Below is a geographic mapping of the 2017 results when we were known as MBRG. Although this map does not include the 2018, 2019, or 2020 results, it is a good representation of the districts that have been voting for policies that promote job creation (green) and those that have not (red). These attitudes tend to consistently recur each legislative session in Annapolis. Zoom into a district and click on the label to see voting details.
Roll Call Issues
- 2019 Roll Call – The More Things Change…
- 2018 Roll Call – Cynics Say Your Vote Doesn’t Really Count…They Might Be Right
- 2017 Roll Call – Extreme Government: What it does not Mandate, it Bans
- 2016 Roll Call – Further Diminishing Maryland’s Brand
- 2015 Roll Call – Giving Credit Where Credit is Due
- 2014 Roll Call – What Is Maryland’s True Business Climate?
- 2013 Roll Call – Redefining ‘”Business” in Maryland
- 2012 Roll Call – Finding the Point Between Austerity and Taxation
- 2011 Roll Call – MBRG Issues an ‘All Hands on Deck’ to Maryland Business
- 2010 Roll Call – When Will We Understand?
- 2009 Roll Call – Two Marylands, The Preakness Bill – Unprecedented in a Quarter Century
- 2008 Roll Call – Taxpayers Reel as States Meet Accounting Real Time
- 2007 Roll Call – Calm before the Perfect Storm
- 2006 Roll Call – Main Street Meets Wall Street
- 2005 Roll Call – “Who’s Gonna Fill Their Shoes?”
- 2004 Roll Call – Patty Hearst, Backstops and the Golden Hour
- 2003 Roll Call – Spend and Tax
- 2002 Roll Call – Mortgaging Maryland’s Future